About the Omarsea Crew

We are the Trefethens. After 10 years of planning we decided to sell our home and buy a sailboat. In November 2007 we departed Portland Oregon for the Virgin Islands and our 50 foot sloop the OMARSEA. Our three children Ben, Juli and Steve are enjoying the benefits of being homeschooled. Join us on our continuing adventures as we explore the East coast of America on the way to New Zealand.

Monday, December 9, 2013

New Zealand and Christmas Spirit

Today as I was working above deck I heard the sound of Christmas carols played on the piano at Riva's Bar and Restaurant.  The sun was out and it is in the high 70's today. It was somewhat unreal to think that Christmas  is almost here, yet it's not going to snow, and everyone around me is getting ready to "hit the beach" and play in the water.
The kids and I are really excited this week as Jean is flying into Aukland in two days. It has been nearly 14 weeks since we have seen her last. Way too long!
We have been blessed in that several boats have arrived with kids aboard. They are friends of Ben, Juli and Steve. It is nice to see them playing with these other cruising kids. They all get along very well.
Our plans are proceeding well. The boat is coming together nicely and I will be done in the next few weeks so we can explore more of this amazing country.  We still plan to sell her here and get out of boating for now. I am not going to say we will never own another cruising boat, as we may later in life. But, we will play that one by ear. For now I am looking forward to some time ashore and some serious R&R away from boat repairs.
With Jean arriving this week the kids and I are focusing on cleaning up the Omarsea and getting everything shipshape. We have a relaxed lifestyle aboard and I am sure it will need some of her special attention to whip us back into shape.
As of today we have 15 shopping days left if you believe in all that stuff. I know the kids are looking forward to returning to Portland where most of their gifts are waiting for them. This is because we have so much stuff to fly back with we are cutting back on our stuff here aboard ship. Thank goodness I have Jean coming to help get rid of most of the stuff we have accumulated over the past year. She is very good at throwing things away.
PS!   I don't know if anyone remembers the 500 lbs of canned goods we stored onboard in Maryland. Good News- we are down to our last 14 cans.  Argh Matey's, I may never eat canned green beans again!
I hope to have some free time next year to organize my notes and put together a humorous tale about our adventures. If there are any of our blogs that you enjoyed more than others I would love to hear from you and get your comments.

I will continue to update our Blog over the coming year with new adventures.

Fair Winds and calm seas

No comments:

Post a Comment